Many of us were raised wearing cloth diapers. This was not necessarily through parental choice but because disposable nappies were not then an option.
With a new baby, you will be faced with a minefield of products to wade through. From strollers and car seats through to bottles and pacifiers, there’s a seemingly endless batch of things to buy.
Before making any investment, it’s a wise move to do plenty of research. Think honestly about your own precise needs. Set a budget and buy accordingly. Read plenty of honest user reviews.
Best Cloth Diapers For Newborn 2017
|Trendy Owl Print|
When it comes to diapers, you will be faced with a dilemma straight off the bat…
- Do you choose disposable or cloth diapers?
We will look today at the advantages of using the traditional cloth style which are reusable and great for the environment.
After outlining what you need to consider when thinking about cloth diapers, we will review 5 of the best products on the market.
Don’t leave anything to chance and put the comfort of your baby uppermost.
What Are Cloth Diapers?
Many people still associate cloth diapers with the traditional flat style…
With these, you needed to fold them out, fasten them using safety pins then break out some plastic covers.
The procedure was not the quickest or easiest but times have changed.
Most cloth diapers now harness innovative materials. Many of these are now elasticized so that they fit as tightly and snugly as a disposable nappy.
The majority of cloth nappies are waterproof to minimize accidents and fully breathable for added comfort. With Velcro closures, the days of fumbling for pins and worrying if these sharp objects are safe against your baby’s soft skin are history.
Cloth diapers today come in a spectrum of striking colors. The textures and fabrics are luxurious.
Set aside images of the fussy and time-consuming cloth diapers of the past. Focus on how these natural alternatives to disposables are cost-effective, convenient and comfortable. They are better for your baby and the environment.
Why Use One?
We will look now at 4 strong reasons why you should seriously consider using cloth diapers for your newborn.
1. Cloth Diapers Are Convenient: Forget The Past!
- Although - like with most new things - there is a small learning curve, using cloth diapers is really pretty straightforward.
- The legs and back come with elastic. Hooks and loops make opening and closing the diapers a breeze.
- With a range of absorbency levels and fabrics available, you can choose the right diaper for the needs of your baby. Why settle for a generic solution when you can buy something specific?
2. Cloth Diapers Are Less Expensive Than Disposables
- Cost is always paramount in any purchasing decision.
- Put simply, using cloth diapers is much more economical than opting for disposables. Re-using anything is generally cheaper than buying new every time. This is no different with cloth diapers.
- When you do the initial sums, you see that there are potentially significant four-figure savings to be made if you use cloth diapers rather than the throwaway versions.
- Don’t forget, though, to think about:
- The cost of washing and drying nappies in the machine
- Baby wipes
- A diaper pail
- Laundry soap/detergent
3 . Cloth Diapers Are Better For Your Baby’s Health
- Some disposable diapers can contain chemicals that can harm your baby.
- This is perhaps the strongest argument in favor of cloth diapers, more important than any financial benefits.
- When disposable diapers are manufactured, the paper is bleached. One of the nasty by-products is dioxin. This chemical has been shown to cause birth defects, cancer, skin disease and damage to the liver and overall genetics. There are sometimes even traces of dioxin in the disposable nappies themselves.
- A toxic pollutant called TBT and sodium polyacrylate are also potentially dangerous. Both are present in reusable diapers.
- Sidestep all of these annoyances and risks. Put the safety of your baby first and foremost. Choose cloth diapers.
4. Reusable Nappies Are Eco-Friendly
View full size image here: DISPOSABLE DIAPER
- With 80% of all diapering in the US being done with disposables, there’s a colossal cost to the environment.
- Thousands upon thousands of tons of plastic are used while manufacturing these throwaway nappies. Millions of trees are felled.
- Then, after just a few hours of use, these diapers will make their way to a landfill. Since they are not biodegradable, they will sit there for potentially hundreds of years. As if this were not bad enough, the feces and urine can possibly impact adversely upon the water supply.
- Fact: After newspapers and drink containers, disposable diapers are the third biggest product in the waste stream.
- If you think of the cost to the forests, the sheer mass of trash created, air and water pollution along with the health risks to children – not forgetting, of course, the extra cash you will spend – it’s clear that cloth diapers represent the smart choice.
What Are The Different Types Of Cloth Diapers?
You will be presented with several different options when it comes to choosing the best cloth diapers…
What do these mean?
- This is a rectangular piece of cloth.
- The center section is thick and padded.
- As the name suggests, you need to fold it up yourself before putting it on your baby.
- A flat diaper is similar but comes in the shape of a square.
- These diapers are shaped like an hourglass.
- Most require fasteners or pins to attach them but some come with elastic or inbuilt snaps.
- You can choose to use a cover instead of fasteners if you opt for this style of cloth diaper.
- The AIO diaper has an outer layer that’s waterproof, a soaker to help with absorption and an inner layer.
- You can get this in two forms. One has everything sewn together, the other has pieces that detach neatly with fasteners.
- These nappies are used once then washed.
- AI2 diapers have an outer shell similar to a cover.
- An insert goes into the shell and sits against the skin of your baby. These can attach with Velcro or snaps. Some simply fold over.
- When you need to change your baby, all you do is replace the absorbent liner and you’re good to go!
- This is fundamentally very much like an AI2 diaper.
- The only notable difference is the choice of liner: with a hybrid it can be either disposable or cloth.
- These diapers boast a waterproof layer outside along with an inner layer that has a pocket opening. The insert is placed into this pocket.
- This inner layer is often made of a material that stays dry for added comfort.
- Both layers become soiled so the pocket diaper is used and then washed immediately.
What To Think About When Buying Cloth Diapers...
It always pays when buying any product to inform yourself on some key pointers to look out for when choosing the best one for your requirements.
- Think carefully about the above differences in cloth diapers. They are not all the same.
- Be honest about your needs and select the style that best matches.
- Environmental Impact
- By choosing cloth diapers over disposable, you have already made the best decision in terms of the environment.
- This great article outlines the pros and cons of the different materials used in cloth diapers.
- If going green is important to you, inform yourself and avoid certain more harmful materials. This should narrow down your choice.
- You know your baby best.
- Think carefully about styles, fastenings and fabrics.
- Don’t be afraid to try various different cloth diapers until you find the one that seems to sit most comfortably on your beloved baby.
- Be Honest About Your Lifestyle
- Ask yourself how often you pop in a load of washing. Which type of cloth diapers would best gel with your household habits?
- Examine the advantages and drawbacks of each style. There’s a cloth diaper for everyone!
- Buy Cheap, Buy Twice!
- The bottom line should not dominate your purchasing decision when it comes to cloth diapers.
- When a product is already fairly cheap, it does not make sense to try to shave off a few cents by choosing the least expensive option without taking all factors into consideration.
- Since you will reap great savings anyway by reusing these diapers, focus on buying nappies that are comfortable and built to last.
- It’s senseless to get something cheap only to find that it falls apart and costs you more money in the long run!
Now you have a good overview of the what you should consider when buying reusable nappies we will give you a look at 5 of the best cloth diaper reviews.
With each of these diapers catering for different needs, there can be no outright winner.
Analyze what you want from reusable diapers, focus on the style that suits you best and rest assured that any of these 5 would make a great choice if you are on the trail of the best cloth diapers.
Don’t hesitate to get in touch if you have any questions. We will respond as soon as possible.
Do the right thing, save the environment and your pocket while offering your newborn the comfort of cloth diapers!